Steve Pohlit, CPA, MBA
Largo, Florida 33773
An accomplished business professional with a proven track record in Big 8 (now Big 4), as CFO of companies $40 million to $1.6 billion and CEO of companies up to $50 million. My experience as an entrepreneur and business consultant is an extension of my large business experience which includes training by some of the highest and best business leaders in the world.
I have numerous successes in buying and selling companies as well as starting and developing new companies. The real estate investment firm I started in the fall of 2010 has grown into very successful development projects in four major markets. I offer my skills as a coach, consultant temporary/interim company leader for turnarounds, improved business performance, technology solutions, mergers and acquisitions, improved asset management, organizational development.
How I proceed with much of my work can be found in my published book Building Business Profits Fast. This material and more is the foundation for exciting and rewarding presentations at event and seminars. Please contact me for additional information regarding my availability as a public professional speaker.
ACCOMPLISHED AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Financial Reporting: leader of accurate and timely financial communications and reporting including; create/enhance financial policies and internal accounting and management controls, key success factor reporting for the CEO, executive team and organization; board of director/venture capital reporting and communications, reporting packages for primary and subordinated debt lenders including debt covenant compliance; financial press kits and press releases; web site and email communication
Business Plans/Recapitalization: Responsible for successfully leading recapitalizations and financings ranging from $8 million to $365 million.
Marketing: Outstanding marketing skills. Specialties include: Internet search engine optimization, social marketing networks, large eBay stores, direct mail, email campaigns, blogs, PR and media buying.
SEC/GAAP/Audit: annual reports, 10K, 10Q, 10 years Big 5, 8 years internal audit.
Strategic Planning/Budgets: development of strategic plans and annual budgets and translation into weekly A, B, C priorities with measurement of actual vs. plan and appropriate action on positive and negative variances.
Profit Improvement/Re-engineering: Revenue growth, margin improvement, cost rationalization, asset management and associated compensation plan design.
Finance: management of existing and future debt/equity position; ROI analysis; treasury
External Auditors and Consultants: management of professional relationship, scope of service, results and cost.
Mergers and Acquisitions: locating relevant candidates, purchase price rationalization, contract negotiations, integration.
MIS: hardware/software selection for business operations and financial systems; departmental development, performance, budgets.
Human Resources: benefit administration, risk management, performance evaluation systems
Legal: Coordination of legal matters and risk management with outside counsel. In one company, in-house counsel was used and was a direct report.
Multi-Location Retail: Apparel, Drug Stores, Convenience Stores, Restaurants, Vehicle Parts and Supplies, Vehicle Replacement Glass, Mail Order
Transportation : Long haul asset based, logistics
Manufacturing: Furniture, Apparel, Paper, Auto Glass, Hi Tech measurement devices for end use manufacturers in the paper and tobacco industries, Ice Cream, Construction Equipment
Distribution: Auto Parts, Apparel, Auto Glass, Consumer Products, Food
Internet: ISP’s, Broadband, Web Hosting, Internet Marketing Campaigns, eCommerce, Social Networking,
Real Estate: Site development, management and marketing of residential construction; site selection and development of retail stores
Construction: Excavation, general contracting for commercial and residential renovation.
eCommerce: sourcing physical products internationally, distributing them from strategically located distribution centers and shipping to retail and wholesale customers buying from top ranked search engines and direct internet marketing initiatives. SEO, Google, Email Marketing and more were very successfully used to drive 20-30% annual sales and profit gains.
INTERIM CFO, CEO and CONSULTING PROJECTS 1999 to PRESENT
- International business doubled in size in less than three years. Physical products sourced globally, distributed from one central distribution center, marketed entirely online. Current revenues approximately $10 million.
- Organized functional departments. Developed managers with clear accountability.
- Developed major new customers in markets previously not served or served sporadically. For example the cruise ship industry and distributors in foreign countries.
- Designed and implemented very successful email marketing campaigns as well as a highly successful eBay store.
- $40 Million annual Revenue, 36 locations
- Appointed Interim CFO following consulting to assist in the successful acquisition of the company.
- Restructured staff, operations and information technology for improved profitability.
CFO Convenient Stores
- $65 million annual revenue
- This regional chain was acquired from a national organization. Established the accounting and systems functions which did not exist at the regional level.
CFO Real Estate Development
- Three projects with total market value in excess of $50.
- Established improved procedures for estimating cost of construction and monitoring variances from budget.
- Appointment was late in the development process and there was inadequate time for a turnaround. Managed the business through reorganization under Chapter 11.
- Complete business process reengineering of a vertically integrated manufacturer, distributor and retailer of construction equipment. Return on investment was more than 300% within twelve months. The size of this business was approximately $10 million.
- Repositioned the performance of a long haul trucking company in connection with the owner’s intent to sell. Negotiated the sale which resulted in the owner realizing double the initial asking price.
- Completed the needs analysis for an entirely new business system for a $100 million wholesaler of food products. The timeline from start of the analysis to successful installation was less than twelve months. This was less than half the time estimated by competing consulting firms.
- Business process reengineering for a $15 million motorcycle dealership retailing and servicing new and used bikes, retailing general merchandise, apparel and replacement parts. Return on investment in excess of 200% in twelve months.
- Restructured the office, systems and controls for a $15 million excavating company. A primary part of this engagement was teaching the founding owner’s son how to take over running the company. The company continues to be very successful led by the son who is the President.
- Developed the management system and information systems in support of doubling the size of a long haul transportation company in less than nine months.
PERMANENT CFO and CEO EXPERIENCE
CEO Technology Services International – Largo, Florida 1995- 2001
- In 1995 I started this Internet Service Provider business was started and successfully grew this company to revenues of approximately $1 million.
- Expansion was achieved with marketing and by acquiring three privately held ISP’s
CFO and CEO: HBA Distributors, Inc. – Largo, Florida 1993 – 1995
- I was directly responsible for all operational areas of areas of this deep discount retail drug store chain with $50 million in annual sales.
- Key accomplishments include: Raised the necessary financing for the acquisition; Negotiated the buy/sell agreement, primary bank line and subordinated debt agreements;
- Reengineered the business and successfully sold the business to two national drug store chains.
CFO: Nationwise Automotive. – Columbus, Ohio 1992-1993
- Responsible for finance, MIS, distribution, risk management, human resources, loss prevention, legal and home office operations for this 280 store privately held business with sales volume of approximately $220 million.
- Recruited to reverse the company’s performance trends.
- Developed the strategies designed to strengthen profitability within one year.
- Implemented changes to the overhead cost structure resulting in a 33% annualized reduction.
- Actions taken included: Reengineered distribution and transportation logistics; Developed a more effective home office structure at a lower cost; Redesigned the company’s risk management and employee benefit programs; Created the framework for improved store productivity with the design and installation of new hardware and software systems for the stores; Initiated the process of decentralized accountability with support from a specialized financial control system implemented at low cost.
CFO: Drug Emporium. – Columbus, Ohio 1991-1992
- Responsible for finance, MIS, risk management, legal and loss prevention functions for this 220 store public retail business in the deep discount drug industry with sales in excess of $1.6 billion annually.
- Recruited to install systems and controls and reduce overhead costs.
- Actions taken to reduce the cost structure and improve margins resulted in a 25% annualized reduction in overhead expense, 10% improvement in store productivity and a 1% improvement in gross margin.
- Consolidated eight regional accounting and administration centers into one;
- Developed and administered new systems for the stores and home office;
- Redesigned the company’s risk management and employee benefit programs;
- Developed a management system for new store development, including location strategy and design;
- Led the evaluation of marketing effectiveness including control over co-op receivables.
CFO: Safelite Glass Corporation – Columbus, Ohio 1989-1991
- Responsible for finance, MIS, risk management, fleet, legal and loss prevention functions for this 600-store business vertically integrated company with manufacturing and distribution.
- I led the refinement of the business plan and financial forecast for the company including the retail and wholesale segments in support of a spin-off of the business from its parent.
- Led and closed the negotiations for the recapitalization as a leveraged buy out supported by Forstmann Little & Company (venture capital ) partnership.
- Implemented changes to improve store productivity by 15% and reduce overhead costs by more than 30% within one year.
- Consolidated sixteen regional administrative centers into one;
- Developed and administered a fleet management program for over 1,600 vehicles;
- Negotiated a centrally administered telecommunications contract;
- Developed a store labor control process rationalized on store volume and hours of operation.
INITIAL CAREER EXPERIENCE INCLUDING BIG 8 PUBLIC ACCOUNTING
Arthur Andersen & Co. – Columbus, Ohio 1979-1989
- Responsible for the Columbus office retail practice and assisting other offices with large retail clients.
- Senior manager in charge of The Limited, Inc. (all divisions and corporate) including the coordination of audit, tax and consulting services.
- Extensive experience coordinating audit and consulting engagements for large publicly held international retailers and manufacturers.
- Grew the firm’s client base and revenue from special project by $5 million annually.
Internal Audit 1971-1999
- Internal auditor for several companies in the public utility, manufacturing and distribution industries. Earned my certified Internal Auditor Certificate during this period.
- Xavier University – MBA GPA 3.76
- Clarion State Univ.- BA in Business Administration Major Accounting
- CPA , license number Ohio 10141
- Executive Director Life Rights TM, The Peace Through People Initiative. Please see www.liferights.com
- Decisive, Strong Leadership Qualities, Very Healthy, Energetic, Quick Study, Bias for Action